Friday 14 December 2012

Gears of War: Judgment:What's Going on at Epic?


The names and faces we've long associated with Epic Games are leaving, and doing so just a few short months before the release of its next high-profile release, Gears of War: Judgment. Should we be reading something into this?
Design director Cliff Bleszinski left the company in October to "chart the next stage" of his career, and back in August the company lost director of production Rod Fergusson, and Judgement'screative director Adrian Chmielarz, who was also the co-owner of the recently acquired studio People Can Fly. This week, Epic Games president Mike Capps became the latest to step away, announcing his retirement after 10 years with the company. He gave notice of his departure in a blog post on Tuesday, and revealed that he is handing over his presidential duties and transitioning into an advisory role. 
"It’s hard to believe I’m writing these words, but here goes! After 10 crazy and wonderful years, I’m handing off my current presidential duties at Epic, and transitioning into an advisory role as well as remaining on the Epic board of directors. If you haven’t heard, I have a baby boy on the way. I’m fortunate that with Epic’s success and generosity, I can be a stay at home dad for a while. My wife Julianne and I are very happy in Raleigh, and other than cleaning up baby barf, I don’t have much planned. I might do some teaching, spend more time on creative writing, and maybe get more active with a few charities.
After dedicating a decade of my life to Epic, and with so many close friends here, it’s impossible to just walk away. I absolutely love this company. If you cut me, I think I probably bleed nanoblack and Imulsion. (Wow, just think about what mixing those would do…) Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney and other board members asked me to stay on the board, and I’m thrilled to do so as I’m truly excited about our future games and Unreal Engine 4."

No comments:

Post a Comment